I like to break down the canvas’s 9 blocks into three areas :
- Key Partners – Who outside your firm will the business be dependent on? (Modern Enterprise’s Responsibility Areas can be very helpful here)
- Key Resources – What resources including equipment, people, or space, data, or knowledge do you need?
- Key Activities – What are the activities that you need to do on a daily, weekly, monthly basis to run the company? (Modern Enterprise’s Responsibility Areas and Processes can be very helpful here)
- Value Proposition – What are you producing and how are you providing value to the people who are paying you?
- Cost Structure – What are the fixed, variable costs of the production of this value?
- Revenue Stream – How are you making revenue? Is this revenue greater than your cost structure?
- Customer Relationships – How are you maintaining client relationships before, during, and after your customer engagement cycle?
- Channels – What are the channels you are using to get your value proposition to your customer?
- Customer Segments – Who are you doing this for? Do they have a pain that you are making a medicine for? Are you making a “candy” product to give them pleasure?