If you’re a startup that’s spent any time at all thinking about new media and social media, you’ve probably heard of Pinterest. It’s been around, and most people still don’t have a great sense of what it is, or what it does. Well, look no further. Here’s a crash course into Pinterest, and some resources to check out to learn how it might drive sales for you.
What is Pinterest?
Pinterest is a Virtual Pinboard.
Pinterest lets you organize and share all the beautiful things you find on the web. People use pinboards to plan their weddings, decorate their homes, and organize their favorite recipes.
Best of all, you can browse pinboards created by other people. Browsing pinboards is a fun way to discover new things and get inspiration from people who share your interests.
What Do You Do on Pinterest?
Pinterest is an engine for finding interesting visual content. According to Mashable, Pinterest users have a very particular, and “Pinteresting” demographic breakdown.
68.2% of Pinterest users are female.
The average Pinterest user’s annual household income is USD $100,000+.
Pinterest users spend 15 minutes on average on Pinterest.
97% of Pinterest fans on Facebook are female.
Pinterest has more referral traffic than Google+, Youtube, and LinkedIn combined.
Users “repin” content, sharing things that they find interesting or attractive on their own “pin board” with their friends and followrs.
What’s the Fuss About the Design?
Pinterest is generating a lot of interest in the startup world, and amongst the web design world. It’s an “endless scrolling” design which means that when you open up Pinterest you see all of the “Pins,” or things that people post to Pinterest from around the web, and can continue scrolling down and down without ever having to click on a “next page” link. Google Images integrated endless scrolling into their functionality, so you may already have seen what this looks like if you frequent Google Images.
How does Pinterest Generate Sales for You?
According to Mixergy’s interview with Pinterest expert Melanie Duncan, of Entrepreneur’s Academy, Pinterest can do wonders for an online business, for startups, and especially for female entrepreneurs.
The tips that Melanie gives are to
- Add a Pin It button to your site so people can pin your so people can share it around.
- Be sure to put a Pin It button on all of your products, and make your products look visually appealing.
- Pin your own original content, and watch social sharing drive traffic to your site.
- Pin your Youtube videos so that people will watch them on Pinterest (especially good for anyone driving sales through videos).
- Use #hashtags when you pin, just like on Twitter, to make them easier to find by topic.
- Consider making before and after visuals to share on Pinterest to show how your business helps people. Users on Pinterest are visually driven, and if you can communicate to them infographic style, you are more likely to drive their high annual household incomes into your sales funnel.
Additional Pinterest Resources
- Pinterest for Biz
- Inc.com’s 9 Tips to Boost Your Business with Pinterest
- 10 Commandments of Using Pinterest for Business
If the average Pinterest user demographics we listed above are close to your ideal client’s target demographics, and if you’re capable of good visual design, Pinterest is a new tool you should be looking at quite seriously. Add Pin It buttons to your site so that you can encourage people on Pinterest already to share your content. Consider adding before / after images of the effects that your business has on your clients. You can do this easily enough for businesses like personal training and health related businesses, but how do you do it for your own business?
Get in Touch with Us!
If you’d like help thinking through your social media strategy at any point, feel free to drop us a line. Anant is a boutique internet architecture and internet strategy firm dedicated to helping companies and nonprofits grow by creating a successful and sustainable web presence. Please check us out at Anant.us or send us a note to see how we can help you run your organization successfully over the Internet.